In a harrowing incident, a woman died after stepping on live wire

  • | Tuesday | 15th September, 2020

Alima’s death was captured on CCTV. Residents alleged that even after complaining for weeks the wire was not removed.

A domestic worker aged in Pulianthope was electrocuted after she accidently steeped on live electric cable near a lamp post in a waterlogged street on Monday. The deceased has been identified as Alima who was the resident of Periyar Nagar. Pulianthope in Chennai, she succumbed to her injuries on the spot. Her death was captured on CCTV which has sent shockwaves across the city. The video showed Alima walking on a platform to avoid motorist and puddle as she bent downwards to pick something up she accidently stepped on slushy surface beneath which a live electric cable was lying exposed she was instantly electrocuted and collapsed . Due to heavy rain in Chennai many parts of city have witnessed waterlogging.   

Residents alleged that after complaining for months about the exposed cable no action was taken by the authorities concerned. Residents and passerby attempted to resuscitate her after they failed to do so they called for ambulance and informed the Pulianthope police, she was rushed to Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital where the doctors declared her ‘’dead’’. The body was sent to post-mortem examination. One of the resident stated ‘’we called the department and told them that a lady succumbed to an electrical shock there was no proper response. Even the ambulance arrived two hours later’’.

A senior police officer in Pulianthope stated ‘’the cause of death is electric shock. A case has been registered under Section 174 of the Criminal Procedure Code for unnatural death. Further investigation is on with officials of civic departments’’. A former employee of Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation stated ‘’this is sad news there is responsibility to safeguard the people. There are guidelines for laying underground cable wires. If the lines are getting snapped easily then it means there was carelessness’’.

Similar incidents have occurred in past due to exposed wires laying barren on surface. In September 2019 a 14 year old speech impaired boy was electrocuted when he stepped on a live wire protruding from a pit dug by the Chennai Corporation in Mugalivakkam.       



Stay updated with all the Chennai Latest News headlines here. For more exclusive & live news updates from all around India, stay connected with NYOOOZ.

Related Articles