Shortage of oxygen cylinders,patients shift to Mumbai

  • | Monday | 14th September, 2020

Lives in danger as Covid hospitals proceed to face acute scarcity of oxygen cylinders; some hospitals have stopped accepting essential sufferers, govt units up management room, shares helpline quantity

Hospitals across  continued to face an acute shortage of oxygen cylinders  on Saturday, with many refusing to admit  while a few have started shifting patients to hospitals in Mumbai after the post-Ganpati festivities and unlock 4. It has led to a scarcity of oxygen cylinders in nearly all Covid-19 hospitals in satellite towns. A number of them have not only exhausted their backup supplies but are also being forced to marginally reduce the flow of oxygen to patients to optimise use.

The hospital wants 90 jumbo cylinders per day, however is getting simply 15. “I’ve 55 beds for Covid-19 sufferers, and 40 sufferers are on oxygen help. Six of them are on the ventilator, and so they want ample provide of oxygen,dealing with an acute scarcity, mentioned Dr Amit Thadani, medical director of Niramaya Hospital in Kharghar.

My solely fear was the six sufferers who’re on non-invasive ventilator, needing round 40 to 50 litre of oxygen per minute. Of those, two have been essential, and an interruption in oxygen provide even for a minute might have price their lives. I began on the lookout for ICU beds in different hospitals, and eventually on Saturday night I used to be in a position to organize two beds – one in DY Patil Hospital in Navi Mumbai and one other one in Seven Hills Hospital, Mumbai. The sufferers of their fifties have been shifted on an pressing foundation,” mentioned Thadani.Even by Saturday the state of affairs had not improved, and he was pressured to shift two of his sufferers to totally different hospitals.

Various medical doctors from Panvel and different locations in Navi Mumbai had just lately sought the federal government’s instant intervention, however no motion has but been taken.In case of emergency, the divisional commissioner has been directed to maintain a reserve inventory of 50 Dura cylinders  and 200 jumbo cylinders on the central location of every income division.

The excessive demand of oxygen even prompted the Meals and Drug Administration to situation a round on September 7 making it obligatory for medical oxygen producers to produce 80 per cent of their manufacturing for medical use and the remaining 20 per cent for industries. Maharashtra can produce 1,210-tonne of medical oxygen day by day and desires round 833 tonne a day for its Covid-19 sufferers



Stay updated with all the Mumbai Latest News headlines here. For more exclusive & live news updates from all around India, stay connected with NYOOOZ.

Related Articles