Food safety dept seizes 104.5 kg of expired meat in city

  • | Friday | 22nd September, 2023

Coimbatore: The food safety department and the Coimbatore corporation jointly launched a special drive at hotels, restaurants, and food joints in various parts of the city following a girls death in Namakkal after she consumed Shawarma.According to the food safety department, the drive was held at Kovaipudur, Ganapathi, Saravanampatti, Ramanathapuram, Vadavalli, Avinashi Road, Peelamedu, Sulur, Singanallur, and Pollachi.Officials seized a total of 102kg of expired meat, 2.5kg of Shawarma, and 15 litres of milkshake without labels, from 54 shops and destroyed them. Official sources said the seized items were valued at 60,400.The teams also sent the food samples for testing and issued notices to nine shops. They also levied a fine of 10,000 on 10 shops for using banned single-use plastics.Officials said the surprise raids will continue to take place across the city in the coming days and instructed owners of restaurants and hotels to maintain hygiene and ensure that only quality food is provided to customers.The food safety department has also asked the public to report unhygienic preparation of shawarma, by contacting 94440 42322. District collector Kranthi Kumar Pati in a press release warned that legal action would be taken against violators.We also published the following articles recentlyNamakkal bans shawarma, grilled chickenA Class IX girl in Namakkal, Tamil Nadu died after consuming chicken shawarma from a restaurant. The health minister has ordered an inquiry against the district designated officer of the food safety department. The restaurant has been sealed and its license permanently cancelled, with a ban on shawarma and grilled chicken preparation in hotels across the district. Samples have been sent for testing. Additionally, officials in Salem have seized rotten chicken and other food items from multiple restaurants.Schoolgirl dies after eating shawarma in Tamil Nadus NamakkalA 14-year-old girl in Tamil Nadu died after eating chicken shawarma from a hotel in Namakkal town. The girl and her family experienced stomach pain and vomiting after consuming the food. She was taken to a private hospital but did not respond to treatment and passed away. Thirteen medical college students also reported food poisoning after eating shawarma from the same hotel. Investigations are ongoing, and the other family members are in stable condition after being referred to a government hospital.Poor hygiene, expired food at top Hyderabad schoolSancta Maria International School in Serilingampally, Hyderabad, may face closure after food safety officers found several violations in the schools kitchen. The officers discovered that the kitchen staff were not changing frying oil regularly, and were not following proper food segregation practices. Poor quality materials were also being used to cover food and cook dosas. Samples of red chilli sauce, vinegar, and used cooking oil have been sent for testing, and civil or criminal charges may be levied against the school based on the results. The inspection was prompted by complaints from parents about their children falling sick frequently.

If You Like This Story, Support NYOOOZ



Your support to NYOOOZ will help us to continue create and publish news for and from smaller cities, which also need equal voice as much as citizens living in bigger cities have through mainstream media organizations.

Stay updated with all the Coimbatore Latest News headlines here. For more exclusive & live news updates from all around India, stay connected with NYOOOZ.

Related Articles