Workers engaged by the owner of flat 8A to do the interiors had left for the day when the fire was spotted.
Also, if any worker wants to smoke, he should step out of the complex, have a smoke and then return to work.
The guidelines dwell on electrical connections, wiring, switches, plugs, circuit breakers as well as building evacuation plans, assembly area, fire alarm systems and fire extinguishers.
Police suspect a smouldering butt of a cigarette or biri smoked by a worker may have ignited the fire.
"We are telling all flat owners to ensure that while interiors or any other work is being done, it should be supervised by someone responsible.
Your support to NYOOOZ will help us to continue create and publish news for and from smaller cities, which also need equal voice as much as citizens living in bigger cities have through mainstream media organizations.
Stay updated with all the Kolkata Latest News headlines here. For more exclusive & live news updates from all around India, stay connected with NYOOOZ.