Summary: Mapusa: Savio Almeida was elected as sarpanch and Pratima Govekar as deputy sarpanch of Anjuna panchayat on Monday, after the polls being postponed for over a month due to ward reservation. "All like-minded people have come together to work for the development of Anjuna village. The opposition panel comprising four out of 11 panchayat members abstained from attending the meeting, said sources. Govekar was the sarpanch and Almeida her deputy during their previous terms.Scheduled for July 8, the elections had to be postponed further to Monday after the presiding officer fell ill and had to be hospitalised. Our first priority is to make the village garbage free," Almeida said, adding that the panchayat will also undertake improvement of playgrounds in the village and build a children's park if the communidade provides land .
Subscribe to Goa News
- Rains affect puja preparations in Cuttack
- MLA Pravat family, supporters allege foul play behind CBI arrest
- Bus ferrying school children mows down man, driver flees leaving behind children
- Delhi Congress workers to form human chain to protest high petrol, diesel prices
- Bandit Babuli Kol avoiding cell phone use to stay off police radar
- Cops can’t be private guards: Bombay HC asks government to review police protection cases